Ab Exercises To Strenghten Your Abs
So you are in the gym and you want to do ab exercises to lose belly fat. Any exercise for your abs will build core strength.They also help to define them and give you that nice six pack look when you lose overall body fat.
Your ab muscle is also a muscle that you can strengthen through resistance training with weights or just using regular body weight exercise. Ever did a set of bicep curls and see your biceps get bigger?
If you want your abs to pop out a bit then incorporate some weight training into your ab routine. However, regular training without weights will also get the job done.
Here are some of the best ab workouts that you can add to your core training.
Untraditional Ab Exercises
The first exercise is called a plank. It is a great core strength workout. Your core is engaged during the entire workout.
How To do a plank:
- Get in a push up position as if you are about to do a push up.
- While keeping the same position get on your elbows. (you should now be on your toes and elbows with a flat back and straight body posture)
- Hold this position for about 30 to 45 seconds. Repeat for a total of 3 reps
You can also do this exercise holding the push up position. The only difference is that you do not get on your elbows.
The next exercise is one of the best ab workouts that completely engages your core.
How to do mountain climbers:
- Get in a push up position as if you are about to do a push up (similar to plank).
- Hold that position and bring your left knee to your left hand. Now bring it back to the starting position.
- Repeat with your right leg.
- Do it with an intense running motion while keeping your core straight.
Do this exercise for about 30 seconds to a minute depending on your fitness level.
The next exercise is called burpees. It is a type of overall body strength training and endurance exercise
How to do burpees:
- Begin by standing
- Drop to a squat position with hands on the ground.
- Kick your feet back while lowering yourself with a push up.
- Simultaneously rise from push up position while returning feet to squat position.
- Jump from squat position with hands in the air.
You can do about 10 to 15 burpees which will once again depend on your fitness level.
Below you will find ab exercises that most people are normally used to doing.
More Traditional Ab Exercises
The bicycle is one of the best ab workouts that you'll ever do. It targets the rectus obliques and keeps your core engaged during the entire workout. It gives a great core strength workout.
How To do a bicycle:
- Lie on your back with hands placed lighly behind head.
- Bring your right knee to your chest while lifting your left shoulder blade off the floor and bringing your left elbow towards the left knee.
- Switch sides.
- Continue switching sides in a pedaling and cycling motion for 3 sets of 30 reps.
The traditional crunch is an effective exercise for targeting your abs.
How to do a crunch:
- Lie on your back with your knees up.
- With your hands lightly behind your back for support lift your shoulders until they are off the ground.
- Lower back down getting a stretch in the abs for 3 sets of 15 reps.
This exercise can be variated with your legs at different angles. They can either be straight in the air or at ninety degree or forty-five degree angle.
How to do a hip thrust:
- Lay on your back with your legs bent at ninety degrees at the hip (your leg is straight in the air).
- With a controlled motion lift your hips off the floor towards the ceiling.
- Return your hip to the starting position.Focus on using your abdominal muscles and not your hip muscles.
These are just a few ab exercises to choose from. There are many more core strength workouts to help you strengthen and develop your abs. You can pick about 4 exercises and complete a circuit and repeat the same circuit 3 times resting 30 seconds between each exercise.
For example, bicycle, 30 sec rest, burpees, 30 sec rest, hip thrust 30 sec rest, mountain climbers 30 sec rest. You can always change the exercises, increase the intensity, reps or time.
Return from this page to Workout Routine 101 home
Return from Ab Exercises page to Workout Routine 101 home